Tuesday 10 August 2010

The Fear 2

Fleet Commander


Ace title, terrible job, just when you think you have a handle on things you have scouted hundreds of operations, acting as a one man vanguard providing info for the fleet, trying to catch enemies out while trying not to develop a horrid K/d ratio. (As an aside everyone says Kill boards don’t matter, deep down they really do, but that’s another subject)

You have worked out ship fits that work for you and you are in my case a fairly vocal (gobby) member of your corp, you reach a point where people start telling you to FC. Most shy away, the stupid and the brave agree.

I’m stupid.

I started Fc’ing during our Time in Stain, where on a daily basis stain empire soundly beat us up and Leaguia Romana blobed the shit out of us, I started with small gang work roaming about rather timidly, it’s one of the things you learn as you play ideally through scouting, learning to second Guess your Fc’s was a part of this for me, but I suspect other will have learned in their own way.

I had the luck of have played with and am still playing with some great FC’s

It’s also what I call “the Fear 2” first fear is losing your own ships, second one is losing other peoples. You also find yourself trying to balance what will be fun for the fleet and not being a reckless dick that fights for fighting sake but at the same time not just scoring easy ganks, I like to think Rpsh prefers good fights over kerb stomps, I know I do.

So far I have ridden my luck and not had a crushing defeat….yet*, syndicate is a far more genteel place to learn both as a FC and probably as a new player.

Mind you I have gotten good at running away.



*forgot about a lovely hotdrop more here through the eyes of one of our newer players –

http://www.gamingdaily.co.uk/2010/eve-online-carrier-drops/

1 comment:

  1. I love FCing. It really is the only thing that, for me, replicates The Fear. There's nothing better than going headfirst into an enemy gang and coming out of it with your own fleet (relatively) intact - especially if you live through it yourself :)

    The problem comes when your name gets known, i.e. if you run into an old alliance or corp mate now flying under different colours. As soon as he tells his gang mates who the FC is likely to be, you're primaried. It's something I've used to advantage myself on several occasions. Whispous always primaries me.

    ReplyDelete